Publications by/about Peter G. Friedlander
Article about my experiences
Hindi in Banaras & how
I learned Hindi
I've learned three types of Hindi
Interview with Sunanda
Interview with Atmaram
Publications by Peter G. Friedlander
- 2015, “Kabīr: Oral to Manuscript Transitions” in Oral Traditions, Vol. 22, 2 (2015), 187-202,
- 2015, “The theory and practice of the Mandala: ritual and identity in the Kabīr Panth” in Asian Horizons. edited by A. A. Di Castro and D. Templeman (Melbourne: Monash University Press, 2015), 296-312,
- 2014, The Treasury of Devotion: Sant Charandas's Bhaktipadarth. New Delhi: Prestige. (joint publication with Harry Aveling)
- 2013, Muni Ratnacandras Nine Jain Questions for Christians
- 2013, "Vivekananda and Chicago 1893: Bridging East and West"
in Asian Currents, (Asian Studies Association of Australia newsletter),
October 2013, pp. 25-27.
- 2012, "Hindi after Henry" in Asian Currents (Asian
Studies Association of Australia newsletter), December 2012, pp. 4-6.
- 2012 , "Kabir and the Print Sphere" in Thesis 11,
113(1) (2012), 45 - 56.
- 2012, "Conflict and Peace in Buddhism", in The Ashgate Research Companion to Religion and Conflict Resolution, Lee Marsden (ed). Ashgate, London, pp.79-95.
- 2012, "Contemporary Buddhism and the challenge of multiculturalism
in India", in The Reluctant Superpower (Mattoo, A. ed.).
Melbourne University Press: Melbourne, pp. 79-104.
- 2012, "Ravidas' in vol. IV. of Brill's Encyclopedia of Hinduism
(BEH), in Knut A. Jacobsen et al (eds)., Brill: Leiden, pp. 371-378.
- 2011, "Learning Languages as Expressions of Cultures"
in Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 2011, Vol.
8, Suppl. 1, pp. 300311.
-, 2011, "Before Translation?" in Ronit Ricci & Jan van der Putten (eds.), Translation in Asia, UK & Kinderhook, NY: St Jerome Publishing, pp. 45-56.
- 2011, "Tagore, Kabir and Underhill," in Seminar,
623, July 2011, New Delhi, pp. 40-44.
-, 2011, ""Tagore: travels and Translations, " in Asian
Currents, 78, July 2011, pp. 10-14, ISSN 14494418.
-, 2010, "Ritual and reform in the Kabir Panth." In: Morrell,
Elizabeth, and Michael D. Barr (eds). 2010. Crises and Opportunities:
Proceedings of the 18th Biennial Conference of the ASAA, 2010, Adelaide,
Australia. Canberra: Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA) Inc
and the University of Adelaide.
-, 2010, 'The Body and World in Buddhism', in Medicine, Religion, and the Body, Edited by Elizabeth Burns Coleman, and Kevin White, Brill: Leiden.
-, 2009, The Hindi Newspaper Revolution: Teaching Reading of Print
and Online News Media', Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching,
2009, Vol. 6, Suppl. 1, pp. 254267.
- 2009, Dhammapada Traditions and Translations,in Journal of Religious History, Vol. 33, No. 2, June 2009, pp. 218-237.
- 2009, Buddhism and Politics in Routledge Handbook
of Religion and Politics, Haynes, J. (ed.) Routledge, London and
New York, pp. 11-25.
- 2007, Dhammapada: Translations and Recreations in One Word, Many Versions, Palapathwala, R, and Karickam, A. (eds.), Dr Alexander Marthoma Centre for Dialogue, Tiruvalla-1 Kerala, pp. 54-76.
- 2006, Buddhism and Politics in The Politics of Religion,
Haynes, J. (ed.), Routledge: London and New York. (Routledge
-, 2006, Hindustani Textbooks from the Raj in Electronic
Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, National University of Singapore,
Singapore, Volume 3 Supplement, April 2006, ISSN 0219-9874.
-, 2006, Prayer and Meditation in Encyclopedia of Language
and Linguistics, 2nd Ed.Edited by Keith Brown Elsevier: Oxford 2006
-, & Aveling, H, 2005, The Songs of Daya Bai, Prestige Books:
Delhi. [Selected in 2007-8 by National Library Foundation and recommended
for purchase in 127 government libraries in India]
-, 2004, 'Travel talk: phrases for travellers in India', in Asia
Examined: Proceedings of the 15th Biennial Conference of the ASAA, 2004,
Canberra, Australia. Canberra: Asian Studies Association of Australia
(ASAA) & Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies (RSPAS), The
Australian National University. ISBN 0-9580837-1-1.
-, 2002, Buddhist Meditation Traditions (OUA unit REL22), La
Trobe University: Melbourne.
-, 2001, Newspaper Hindi (OUA unit HIN22), La Trobe University:
-, 2001, Conversational Hindi (OUA unit HIN20), La Trobe University:
-, Robin Jeffrey and Sanjay Seth. 2001. 'Subliminal Charge: How Hindi-Language
Newspaper Expansion Affects India', in Media International Australia,
No. 100 - August 2001.
-, 2000, Buddhism Past and Present (OUA unit REL15), La Trobe
-, 2000, 'The Noble Eight-fold Path and Nibbana', in Sambodhi Vol.
10, Mahabodhi Society: Buddha Gaya.
-, 1999, Hindi Short Stories (OUA unit HIN21), La Trobe University:
-, 1998, Modern Hindi Texts, La Trobe University: Melbourne.
-, 1997, Hindi Language One, La Trobe University: Melbourne.
-, 1996, 'The Struggle for Salvation in the Hagiographies of Ravidas',
in Leslie, J. (ed.) Myth and Mythmaking, Curzon Press: London.
-, 1996, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Hindi Manuscripts in the
Library of the Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine, Wellcome
-, 1994, 'The Core of the Vani of Raidas', in Entwistle, A. W. &
Mallison, F. (eds.), Studies in South Asian Devotional Literature,
-, 1994, 'The Historian's Delight', in Jones, I. (ed.), The Wellcome
Trust Review, Volume Three, Wellcome Trust: London.
-, 1994, 'Merchants and Manuscripts: Jain gutka manuscripts and the
gutka of Sah Ramcand', in John Sims (ed.), SALG Newsletter, no.41.
January 1994, South Asia Library Group: London.
-, 1994, 'A Hand list of Hindi Manuscripts in the Library of the Wellcome
Institute for the History of Medicine', in Kanitkar, H. A. (ed.), IAVRI
Bulletin, Nos. 15-16, 1991-2., International Association of the
Vrindaban Research Institute: London.
Callewaert, W. M & Friedlander, P., 1992, The Life and Works of Sant Raidas, Manohar: Delhi.
Texts and Translations © Peter G. Friedlander unless otherwise indicated.